Knoxville Custody Attorneys
Mandy Hancock Law Firm
Knoxville, TN Child Custody Lawyers
Even under the best of circumstances, child custody can be a complicated, daunting matter. Regardless of how you and your spouse are getting along, our team of Knoxville custody attorneys can help make the road smoother and more manageable.
Collectively, the skilled lawyers at Mandy Hancock Law have been working to help families find custody solutions for decades. No matter what you’re facing, our team will determine what can be done, always with the children’s best interest in mind.
Child custody is a sensitive, complex matter. When the stakes are high and emotions are raw, it can be hard to make clear-headed decisions. A Knoxville custody attorney will help you develop a plan that makes you feel empowered, equipped, and prepared.
Child Custody Factors in Knoxville
Child custody can be complex. That’s because the adults involved can have very different definitions of a positive outcome. It is the job of a Tennessee court to carefully consider many factors, keeping the child’s well-being at the center of the discussion.
Factors affecting child custody determinations include:
- If they are over the age of 12, where do they want to live?
- The physical and mental health and well-being of each parent
- The willingness of both parents to cooperate with one another and the court
- Each parent’s ability to offer a safe and suitable living environment
- The impact of these changes on the child’s life and well-being
- Each parent’s current schedule and employment situation
Things can go downhill quickly in child custody cases. No matter how much each parent may want to come to a peaceful resolution, the stakes are high, and tempers can flare. A caring, knowledgeable Knoxville custody lawyer can make a world of difference in the outcome of your custody case by offering invaluable support along the way.
Filing for Custody in Knoxville
In Tennessee, all court orders for annulments, legal separations, and divorce involving a minor child must include a parenting plan. These plans serve to outline the responsibility and authority of the minor child’s parents moving forward.
The team at Mandy Hancock Law understands how difficult and overwhelming separations and custody negotiations can be. We’ll work with you to have productive conversations with your spouse and establish a plan that makes the best of an unfortunate situation.
What Is an Unfit Parent in Knoxville, TN?
In Tennessee, certain factors can contribute to someone being labeled an “unfit” parent. Unfortunately, the law can’t see someone’s heart or intentions, so distinctions must be made based on actions when considering the child’s best interest.
The following can interfere with child custody:
- Being arrested
- Posting questionable or inappropriate content on social media
- Failure to follow any temporary or permanent court orders
- Refusal to communicate and cooperate with your spouse
Avoid posting publicly about your case, no matter how frustrated or hurt you are. Whether email, text, or social media, if someone else can see it and take a screen capture, it could be used to support the case that you are unfit.
Reaching a child custody resolution can be one of the most stressful experiences of your life. The process is often long, exhausting, and painful. But having a skilled child custody attorney at your side can make a world of difference.
How Can Knoxville Custody Attorneys Help?
Our dedicated attorneys can help with the following:
- Filing critical and complex paperwork with the right people at the right times
- Preparing witnesses for court and gathering character witnesses
- Collecting essential evidence and getting in touch with expert witnesses
- Preparing you for your testimony, including answering difficult questions
- Helping you develop a winning hearing strategy for your approach and attitude
At Mandy Hancock Law, we have a long history of successful outcomes and we would be honored to add you to our client family! Our family lawyers will put your needs first and work tirelessly to achieve a favorable outcome that supports your child’s best interest. We’ll keep you updated every step of the way to alleviate some of the stress and pain that comes with the challenging experience that is child custody.
Knoxville Custody Attorneys FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is a Knoxville custody attorney?
A custody attorney is a family law attorney who can help resolve custody issues. They help form a parenting plan that supports the goals of parents and children after a separation. A Knoxville custody attorney specializes in family law and understands the unique challenges and stakes of a child custody case.
What does a Knoxville child custody attorney do?
A child custody attorney will ask questions to understand your unique case. Then, they will work to develop a strategy for achieving the best possible outcome for you and your family. They can inform you of your parental rights, develop a legal strategy, present evidence in court, organize evidence, and much more.
What is considered an unfit parent in Tennessee?
In Tennessee, you could be found unfit for abuse, neglect, substance abuse, arrest, failure to follow court orders, failure to cooperate with the other parent, etc. The legal definition of “unfit” is that the parent through their conduct has failed to provide proper care, support, or guidance for the minor child.
At what age can a child decide which parent to live with in Tennessee?
12. Tennessee statute states that the court can consider the “reasonable preference” of a minor child 12 years of age or older when making decisions on custody. But the court may also choose to hear the preference of a child under the age of 12 as they weigh all factors.
Contact us about your case
Your case deserves the high-caliber, dynamic representation that Mandy Hancock Law delivers. We can't wait to provide you with our unique Signature Service.